Sustain worked with the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea to reduce the carbon footprint of their schools and meet council carbon targets.
We used existing Energy Management tools and data to maximise savings
Energy Management support revealed 202 tonnes of carbon savings per year
Payback of 3.2 years with the measures identified
- The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea has an ambitious 40% carbon reduction target throughout their operations which includes 17 primary schools.
- They needed a long term solution to reduce costs and gain a better understanding of the energy performance of their schools.
- The schools were keen to act but needed support to use their energy data, see the potential for improvement and understand their heating and hot water systems.
- The challenge was to use the existing energy management tools present in the schools to better manage their heating systems.
- We carried out detailed analysis of each school’s gas consumption data and identified problems with the heating setup prior to the site visits.
- Working alongside the building caretakers, we conducted a review of the heating and hot water controls at each school and provided training to enable them to manage their usage in-house.
- We then reviewed the rest of the site and identified further opportunities to cut energy costs.
- The results were presented alongside an individual energy story for each school, including advice for carrying out energy management in the future. This gave both the impetus and the guidance for further action.
- 25 gas meters were analysed, identifying usage in each building at different times of day and times of the year.
- 52 energy saving measures were identified, 29 of which were carried out during the site visits.
- Over £35,000 of annual savings were identified.
- Training and advice was provided to help the schools better manage their heating and hot water systems in the future.
- Further training workshops are planned to show the schools how to use their existing energy management data to better manage their energy costs and consumption.
``Sustain have been incredibly helpful in guiding our ongoing energy management and carbon reduction strategy throughout our schools. The work has identified a clear course of action to help us achieve our targets and improve the internal environment of the schools.``- Lucy McQuillan- Carbon Reduction Officer, Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea
Talk to one of our team today