The CRC Energy Efficiency Scheme (formerly known as the Carbon Reduction Commitment) is a UK Government administered energy scheme aimed at cutting the carbon output of large energy users in the public and private sector.
Who is eligible?
The scheme targets organisations that account for 10% of the UK’s carbon output and is assessed at the group, rather than individual company, level.
Your organisation or group is eligible for the current phase of the scheme if, between 1st April 2012 and 31st March 2013, it met the following criteria you consumed more than 6,000MWh per year of– all hh meters of electricity purchased on the Half Hourly Metered (HHM) settled market.
You will need to have registered for the current phase (Phase 2, Year 1) of the scheme by the 31st January 2014. If you have missed the registration deadline, it is imperative that you register to avoid future fines for non-compliance.
How the scheme works
CRC contains several steps to reach compliance:
- Register your business online using the government portal
- Collate information about all of your HHM supplies, and submit to the scheme regulator
- Order, Buy, Surrender and Transfer Carbon allowances to “off-set” your carbon output for the period
- Submit an annual report
- Inform the Environment Agency about any changes during the period that may affect your registration
- Keep records and an evidence pack on file for auditing purposes.
To find the current prices for carbon allowances (which are traded on the open market) you can visit https://www.gov.uk/guidance/crc-energy-efficiency-scheme-qualification-and-registration
How Sustain can help
We can be your appointed Primary Agent and carry out all of the above actions (with the exception of purchasing and trading carbon allowances, where best advice will be provided, but no carbon allowances will be purchased on your behalf), our services include;
- Compliance set-up
- Ongoing Performance Monitoring and trading support
- Compliance requirements management
- Advisory and management services
- CRC registry management